The BIR Spring Juniors Program focuses on short races and concludes with the USRowing Northwest Youth Championship regatta in Vancouver, WA. Rowers who qualify at this regional regatta may be invited to participate in USRowing’s Youth Nationals in June.
All rowers and parents must attend the appropriate Spring Orientation meetings in the Bainbridge High School (BHS) Commons. Important information is shared for both new and returning rowers. Rowing is an official BHS sport in the spring and is open to all BHS students in grades 9-12. Out-of-district athletes are also welcome.
- Varsity Girls: January 19, 7 p.m.
- Varsity Boys: January 19, 7 p.m.
- Novice Girls: February 2, 7 p.m.
- Novice Boys: February 2, 7 p.m.
Rowing fees for the Spring 2017 season are as follows:
- Varsity: $731
- Novice: $694
These fees include the costs of single-day regattas as listed in the spring schedule. Several multiday regattas require an additional fee for participation due to transportation, lodging, and meal costs. These regattas and the additional fees are as follows:
- Covered Bridge Regatta in Eugene, OR, April 22-23: $175
- Brentwood Regatta on Vancouver Island, Canada, April 28-30: $310 (current U.S. Passport required)
- Northwest Regional Regatta on Vancouver Lake, WA, May 19-21: $335
- Nationals Regatta in Sarasota, Florida, June 9-11: Cost TBD
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to simplify our paperwork there will be one registration process for Spring rowing and all the regattas, with all of the above fees being combined as follows:
- Varsity: $1,601 (includes $50 annual BIR membership fee)
- Novice: $1,254 (includes $50 annual BIR membership fee)
There are two payment options:
- Pay the entire amount up front.
- Select the four-installment payment plan. The first payment of $389.75 for Varsity rowers and $303.00 for Novice rowers is due no later than February 13 (includes $2 processing fee).
In addition, all rowers must have paid the BIR annual membership fee and the USRowing membership fee. See the Juniors General Information page for more information.
Scholarships may be available based on need and funding availability.
The Spring 2017 registration deadline is January 13, 2017. Registrations received after January 13 will be assessed a $50 late fee. Please sign in to iCrew to register.
Because rowing is an official BHS sport in Spring season, all participating rowers must also complete BHS Athletics registration. There are no additional fees but there are several forms to complete.
In addition, all rowers must be registered members of BIR and USRowing. Please sign in to iCrew to register.
Questions? Please email the Junior Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Practices are held Monday through Friday at Waterfront Park, 3:45 – 6:15 p.m., per the dates below:
- Varsity: January 30 – May 22
- Novices: February 6 – May 22
No practices during Midwinter Break, February 20 – 24.
Important note about parking: Drop-off and pick-up are not permitted on Brien Drive because of congestion problems. Please drop off rowers along Bjune Drive instead. As necessary, instruct rowers to wait near the Waterfront Park playground for pick-up along Bjune after practice.
Scrimmage & Regatta Schedule
BIR Juniors will participate in multiple scrimmages, single-day regattas, and multi-day regattas in the Spring 2017 season.
- Holy Names Academy (girls only): Friday, March 3 on Bainbridge Island
- Everett Rowing: Saturday, March 24 in Everett
- Lakeside Academy: Saturday, April 15 in Seattle
- Salt Watta Regatta: Sunday, March 12 on Vashon Island
- Covered Bridge Regatta: Friday, April 21 to Sunday, April 23 in Eugene, OR
- Brentwood Regatta (Varsity only): Friday, April 28 to Sunday, April 30, in Mill Bay, BC
- Opening Day (Varsity only): Saturday, May 6 in Seattle
- USRowing NW Youth Championship: Friday, May 19 to Sunday, May 21 in Vancouver, WA
- USRowing Youth National Championship (qualified boats only): Friday, June 9 to Sunday, June 11 in Sarasota, FL
Other Important Events & Dates
All Junior rowers and parents please plan to attend the following events:
- Boat Maintenance: One Saturday per squad, 9-11 a.m. (rowers only required)
- Chilly Hilly Fundraiser: Sunday, February 26
- BIR Annual Meeting and Potluck: Thursday, February 9, 7 p.m. at BHS Commons
- Juniors Year-end Celebration and Potluck: Late Spring, Island Center Hall