Welcome new and returning rowers and their families to our 2018 spring season! The BIR Spring Juniors Program focuses on short races and concludes with the USRowing Northwest Youth Championship regatta in Vancouver, WA. Rowers who qualify at this regional regatta may be invited to participate in USRowing’s Youth Nationals in June. Between now and June our goal is to have a fun, challenging, and fulfilling season both on the water and off.
All rowers and parents must attend the appropriate Spring Orientation meetings in the Bainbridge High School (BHS) Commons. Important information is shared for both new and returning rowers. Rowing is a club sport not directly affiliated with Bainbridge High School and is open to all BHS students in grades 9-12, as well as athletes from other school districts..
- Varsity: January 17, 7 p.m.
- Novice: January 31, 7 p.m.
Annual Dues: BIR annual dues for 2018 will be $90 and will cover the entire calendar year.
Program Fees: $781 for all Junior rowers.
Regatta Fees: New this year, We are assessing regatta fees separately from program fees, based on the number of rowers for the season. The regatta fees (estimated presently at between $805 and $890) will be payable via iCrew on Friday, March 30th. There will be no refunds of regatta fees. The regatta fees includes the cost of meals for regatta participants and for food tent volunteers during their work shift. For all others, a $5/day meal payment is required.
USRowing Annual Fees: In addition to BIR annual dues, program fees, and regatta fees, all rowers must have paid the USRowing membership fee. See the Juniors General Information page for more information.
Payment Plans: As BIR is providing an 11 week lag between the payment of program fees and regatta fees this year, no additional payment plans will be offered.
Refund Policy: Spring 2018 refund policy for dues and program fees (does not include regatta fees):
- Week one to two: Full refund
- Week three to four: 50% refund
- Week five or higher: No refunds.
Scholarships may be available based on need and funding availability.
The Spring 2018 registration deadline is February 9. Registrations received after February 9 will be assessed a $50 late fee. Please sign in to iCrew to register.
In addition, all rowers must be registered members of USRowing.
Questions? Please email the Junior Registrar at email@example.com.
Practices are held Monday through Friday at Waterfront Park, 3:40 – 6:10 p.m., per the dates below:
- Varsity: January 28 – May 19
- Novices: February 4 – May 19
There are no practices during Midwinter Break, February 18 – 22, and Spring Break, April 1 – 5.
Important note about parking: Drop-off and pick-up are not permitted on Brien Drive because of congestion problems. Please drop off rowers along Bjune Drive instead. As necessary, instruct rowers to wait near the Waterfront Park playground for pick-up along Bjune after practice.
Scrimmage & Regatta Schedule
BIR Juniors will participate in multiple scrimmages, single-day regattas, and multi-day regattas in the Spring 2017 season. All Junior rowers and parents must read, sign, and return the BIR Overnight Crew Policy before they can participate in out of town regattas.
- Ergapalooza: Monday, February 11 on Bainbridge Island
- Holy Names Academy (girls only): Friday, March 1 at BIR
- Salt Watta Regatta: Sunday, March 10 at BIR
- Everett Scrimmage: Saturday, March 23 in Everett
- Lakeside Scrimmage: Saturday, April 20. Varsity will at Lakeside; Novices will compete at BIR
- Covered Bridge Regatta: Saturday, April 13 to Sunday, April 14 in Eugene, OR
- Brentwood Regatta: Friday, April 26 to Sunday, April 28 in Mill Bay, BC
- Opening Day (Varsity only, pending invitation): Saturday, May 4 in Seattle
- USRowing NW Youth Regionals: Friday, May 16 to Sunday, May 19 in Vancouver, WA
- USRowing Youth National Championship (qualified boats only): Friday, June 6 to Sunday, June 9 in Sarasota, FL
Other Important Events & Dates
All Junior rowers and parents should also please plan to attend the following events:
- Boat Maintenance: One Saturday per squad, 9-11 a.m. (rowers only required)
- BIR Annual Meeting and Potluck: Thursday, February 11, 6:00-8:30 p.m. at BARN
- Chilly Hilly Fundraiser: Sunday, February 25
- Juniors Year-end Celebration and Potluck: Late Spring, Island Center Hall